07 July 2013

Little Things Really Matter

Lately, my brain has been on constant overload. I've had so much going on (amazing things and not-very-happy things all at once) that I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of too-much-to-do. And my attempts to focus on one thing at a time have led to nothing but a panicky what-if-something-else-is-more-important feeling. And not only have I been unable to complete the simplest tasks, but I feel like I can't even complete a thought.

Today, I sat in church, desperately trying to shut down my overloaded mind and concentrate on the peace I usually feel there. But all I could think about was my growing to-do list and the many issues I still couldn't figure out how to solve. As we quietly sat in the chapel, waiting for the Sacrament, a little girl in the pew across the aisle started softly singing a simple Primary song. (Primary is the children's Sunday school organization for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. - Many of the gospel principles are taught to the young children through songs.)

This particular song has always been one of my favorites. The words come from Jesus' parable about the wise man building his house upon a rock, and the foolish man building his house on the sand. (When the rains and floods came, only the wise man's house was left standing.) As I listened to this little girl happily singing "The wise man built his house upon the rock... and the rains came tumbling down..." all of the little drops of trouble that were flooding my mind came together in one great flood of issues. And I realized that my "house" is pretty sturdy. I have a firm foundation of family, friends, and the Lord to keep me from floating away, no matter how high the flood waters rise around me. And even though I still don't know what to do about some of the problems I'm facing, I know they'll help me through.

So today, I'm thankful for an adorable little girl and a sweet song that helped put everything in perspective!

Oh, and speaking of little things...

Phil (@ArtistHubby to those of you who know him by that name) thought it was really funny to startle our friend's daughter, Natalie Bush, every time he saw her. Because she was so easily scared. She was determined to get him back, but she never could sneak up on him properly (he always saw her and scared her instead), so when she moved, I promised I'd get him back for her. Natalie, this video is for you!! :)

I set up the video camera to record one afternoon when I was home sick, knowing that Phil would come in to check on me when he came home, so I could scare him. Sorry for the dark, grainy image. I couldn't light the area better, or he would know something was up.

No comments:

Post a Comment