19 August 2013

Book Review: JINNIE WISHMAKER by D.D. Roy

I love a little bit of magic in my middle grade novels, and when I saw this one available for review on NetGalley, I jumped at the chance to read it. And I definitely wasn't disappointed. D.D. Roy weaves together fantastic elements to create a realistic-feeling magical world.

When Jinnie's parents go missing and her grandmother gets hurt, she and her brother are forced to go live with their rich and snooty aunt and uncle. She discovers that she can grant wishes, but can't control the results. The school counselor tells Jinnie to join the Troubled Tweens, a group of kids with similar power problems. But their loose use of magic attracts the attention of the Loki, a group of magic thieves and pranksters, who want to steal an open-ended wish from Jinnie.

I really enjoyed this book. It's a super-cute, read-in-an-afternoon kind of story full of magic, family and friendship.

Although the magical elements are strong, the story is so much more than just another "I just discovered that I have magical powers" book. Jinnie is dealing with some real issues - more than the development of her powers. She's dealing with family issues, a new school, and new friends. Even without the fun, magical elements, this would be a great story. I especially loved the relationship between Jinnie and her brother, Bryan, and the way they work so well together. Even though Bryan isn't magical, and isn't part of the Troubled Tweens group, Jinnie and her friends need his help to win the fight against the Loki.


No comments:

Post a Comment