16 November 2012

Crock Pot Gourmet for the Frantic Chef: Apple Pork Loin

This week, for my Crock Pot Gourmet post, I present for your dining pleasure: Pork loin with apples, onions and peppers. (If you missed last week's inaugural post, click here to view it.)

First, gather your ingredients together. I used my 5-quart crock pot for this recipe. I used 4 honeycrisp apples (granny smith are also excellent in this recipe, and often easier to find in your local grocery store's produce department), 2 medium-sized yellow onions, 1 green bell pepper, 3 Tbsp. minced garlic and a 4-pound pork loin. If you have a larger or smaller crock pot, you may need to adjust quantities for your slow cooker. (I would be happy to give you adjusted quantities for your particular Crock Pot, if you need help with the figuring. Just leave a comment on this blog post!)

For a printable version of this recipe, click here.

Wash the apples. Cut them in half, then slice into 1/8-inch wide slices. I think it's easiest to slice the apples first, then cut the core bits off the slices that have part of the core in them, but if you like to remove the core before slicing, you can do it that way too.



Cut the onions in half, remove the peel and discard, then slice into 1/8-inch thick slices, just like you did with the apple (except, obviously, you don't have to worry about removing the core).


Cut the green peppers in half and remove the stem and seeds. Slice into thin strips.


Layer 1/2 of the apples, onions and pepper strips in the bottom of a 5-quart crock pot. (No need to grease the crock pot for this recipe. It shouldn't stick to the sides at all.)


Place the pork loin on top of the apple/onion/pepper mixture and spread 3 Tbsp minced garlic over the top of the meat.


Layer with remaining green peppers, onions and apples, then cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours,

until pork is fully cooked. (It's always best to check the internal temperature of the meat with a meat thermometer, to ensure that your food is, indeed, fully cooked before serving.)

Slice the pork loin and serve with rice, veggies (I like a broccoli/yellow squash mixture) and the apple/onion/pepper mixture that you cooked along with the pork. There will be quite a bit of liquid in with your pork, as the juices of all of the ingredients have mixed together while cooking. I like to ladle a bit of the juice over my meat and rice for flavor.


Questions about this recipe? Comments? Requests for future Crock Pot Gourmet recipes? Please let me know in the comment box below! Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I love new crock pot recipes. I'm out until late a couple nights a week and it's so nice to come home to dinner all ready. ;) Thanks for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have any requests for future recipes :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I am going to make this! I may add a bit of cornstarch to the remaining liquid for a gravy... I love a good gravy. *drools*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, it would be really easy to turn the drippings into gravy. You could even sprinkle cornstarch in with the ingredients before cooking to make gravy automatically (probably 2-3 Tbsp. cornstarch tossed in with the bottom layer of apples & onions)!

      Delete