04 October 2013

Portabella Mini Pizza Recipe

Everyone loves pizza, right? A few months ago, I shared my recipe for pizza in the Crock Pot, which is absolutely delicious (and easier than you might think). We also love to have make-your-own mini pizzas for dinner when we're enjoying family movie night. When you make them yourself, pizzas are much more economical and healthier than delivery (and they usually taste better too)! And I'll share more of my favorite mini pizza recipes soon, I promise. But the last time I made mini pizzas, I started thinking about all of my friends on gluten-free diets. They deserve delicious movie-night treats too, right?

Presenting Portabella Mini Pizza!

For one pizza, you will need:

1 large portabella mushroom
1-2 Tbsp. cornmeal
1-2 Tbsp. pizza sauce (leftover spaghetti sauce works great!)
1/4 c. shredded mozzarella
Toppings of your choice (I used 1/4 red bell pepper, the mushroom stem, chopped, and 2 artichoke hearts)
Italian seasoning

Remove stem from mushroom and set aside. Wash mushroom cap and stem, and dry thoroughly. (It's best if you let it drain on some paper towels for an hour or two - these mushrooms can hold a lot of water, and no one likes a soggy pizza.) 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cornmeal on a baking sheet, and place mushroom (stem side up) on cornmeal. Sprinkle remaining cornmeal on top of mushroom cap. (This will help absorb the natural moisture of the mushroom.)

Spread pizza sauce on the mushroom "crust."

Sprinkle with 1/2 the shredded mozzarella.

Add toppings as desired, and top with remaining cheese and a dash of Italian seasoning.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Slice and serve.
*Note: For a Vegan version of this recipe, use a cheese substitute instead of mozzarella.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. That looks really good! (And I don't like mushrooms.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super-delicious. And the large portabella mushrooms have a slightly different taste/texture than most mushrooms. More meaty, I think. You should try it and then come back and tell me what you think. ;)

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing, Veronica. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete