09 September 2026

Be Patient, But Not Passive

Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something ... even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!" - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

September has always had a bit of a "new year" feeling for me. 

Probably because we're trained as children to see it that way, with school starting up in the fall. 

But also probably because the crisp, cool air and harvest season brings to mind feelings of new life to me (even more than the budding leaves in the springtime).

Whatever the reason for it, this September I'm feeling that "new year, new beginnings" feeling a bit stronger than usual. I'm filled with hope and all kinds of bubbly feelings of possibility. Which is something I haven't felt in quite a long time, to be honest. 

So I've set some goals, I've set my sights on some dreams, and I'm taking time each day to remember to be patient with myself. This month, I will remember that being patient means celebrating the things I can do and giving myself grace when my body and brain don't fully cooperate to let me do everything I want to do. 

Being patient with myself includes taking time to go to the gym when I feel the need to move my body, even if there are chores at home that "need" to be done. Sometimes, it's okay to let the laundry sit in a pile, unfolded, while I take time to feel the endorphin rush I get from a long walk or a good swim. 

Being patient with myself includes writing down and sharing my recipes, even if I'm not sure if anyone reads this blog anymore, just because it makes me happy to create delicious things. Especially when it gives me an excuse to read a lot of amazing books to create #KidLitConfections pairings!

And being patient with myself includes taking time to reflect on a beautiful quote that I wanted to share when it first touched my heart nearly a decade ago... but I didn't post because I convinced myself that no one but me wanted to hear my thoughts about it. But the thing is, even if no one but me cares? That's okay. Because being patient with myself means remembering that I am worthwhile, even when I am slightly invisible. 

And I can love myself, even when I'm still working toward those goals and dreams and aspirations. Being patient isn't waiting until I reach the end to celebrate. Being patient means quietly celebrating each step along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment