28 June 2013

Happy Birthday, Summer! Nutella-ish Chocolate Chip Cookies

On Monday, I opened up my Twitter feed to see many of my friends wishing Summer (@Fizzygrrl) a Happy Birthday. What? A birthday? And I didn't send anything?? This situation must be rectified immediately!! So I ran to the kitchen and whipped up a delicious peanut-butter cookie-based dessert... and then I remembered. Summer's son has peanut allergies. Ooops!

However... I KNOW Summer loves Nutella! I could make a Nutella-based cookie!... Except, I happen to be allergic to Nutella (it's the palm kernel oil that gets me, not the actual hazel nut and chocolate goodness).

Well, you know me. I'll never let a little thing like allergies stop me. It took me a few days to figure it out, but in the end, the answer was simple. I just made my own HOMEMADE Nutella!! And the cookies are delicious!

So, Summer, Happy Birthday!! This recipe is for you:





Homemade Nutella
2 c. (8 oz.) chopped hazelnuts
¼ c. oil
¼ c. sugar
2 Tbsp. baking cocoa

Place all ingredients into your blender, and blend together on high, until you have a creamy, smooth spread. (This would probably work a little better in a food processor, but I don't have one, so I used a blender.)

To turn the spread into cookies, you'll need:

½ c butter (softened)

¾ c. Homemade Nutella (I reserved about ¼ c. of the batch for spreading on toast & such)
¼ c. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder

½ tsp. vanilla

2 eggs
 2 c. flour
½ c. mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir together butter and Homemade Nutella. Add sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla and eggs. Beat thoroughly. Stir in flour and chocolate chips. Drop onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes. Allow to cool 2 minutes on pan, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. (Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.)

(P.S. I did take pictures at every step as I made the cookies, but I was so excited to post the recipe that I didn't take time to upload all of the pics. If you prefer the recipe with pictures, just comment and let me know. I can come back and add them in!)

No comments:

Post a Comment