13 December 2013

Crock Pot Gourmet: Pumpkin Custard


I always make too much filling when I bake pumpkin pies, and I usually pour the excess into a dish to bake alongside the pie for a delicious, Baked Pumpkin Custard. This year, I decided to omit the pie crust altogether and try baking the custard in my Crock Pot instead. It was delicious and super simple, and this recipe will definitely be returning as a staple in our home. (It's nutritious enough - packed with all the lovely vitamins from the pumpkin - that I've even made it for a special breakfast treat!)

You will need: 
2 eggs
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin (or 2 c. pumpkin puree)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
dash cayenne pepper (optional, but totally delicious!)
1 c. dry milk
1 c. water

Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and spices. Add sugar and dry milk powder. Beat until thoroughly combined. Slowly whisk in water. Pour into greased 2 1/2 quart crock pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, until a knife inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean.

(For a larger crowd, you can easily double the recipe.)


No comments:

Post a Comment