15 June 2013

Pitch-a-Rama!

I've been trying to hold myself to a 2-contest limit on my manuscripts, so they don't end up seeming overused and old... but even though I've already had successful runs in Pitch Madness and The Write Voice, I saw the line-up of editors participating in Pitch-a-Rama, and I couldn't help myself. So I'm going to throw my pitch in the ring one more time. Wish me luck!


Update: Yay!! I made it to the editor round of Pitch-a-Rama! WooHoo!! :) There are a few publishers on the list of participants that I'd really love a chance to work with, so I'm keeping my toes crossed. (Can't cross the fingers, because that makes it really difficult to type.)



Manuscript Title: TWELVE STEPS
Author: Veronica Bartles
Age group: YA
Genre: Contemporary
Word count: 70,000

250 word blurb:

Second born does not mean second best.

Sixteen-year-old Andi is tired of being a second-class sibling. She could be better than her sister, Laina, if people gave her a chance. But when Andi’s crush asks her to fix him up with her sister, she decides to stop waiting. The only chances she’ll get are those she takes for herself.

Andi devises a twelve step program to wrangle the spotlight away from Laina and make it her own. Step one: admit she’s powerless over her perfect sister and her life really, really sucks. Step three: decide to love and support her sister, even when Laina totally doesn’t deserve it. Step seven: demand attention for more than just her shortcomings.

But auditioning for Cinderella lands her the part of the overlooked stepsister, a role she knows all too well. A stolen kiss from her crush ends in disaster. And turning her floundering biology grade into an A lands her butt in the principal’s office, even though she was definitely not cheating.

As Andi works through her twelve step program, she realizes the Prince isn’t as charming as she thought. And when Laina’s flawless façade begins to crumble, the sisters work together to find a spotlight big enough for both to shine.

2 comments:

  1. I love this premise. I'll be cheering you on. Good luck and I'm so glad you entered :)

    Meredith (@MeredithRaeJ)
    Meredith’s Musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for talking me into entering! No matter what comes of it, I'm glad I took the plunge :)

      Delete