10 May 2013

Crock Pot Gourmet: Sweet and Sour Chicken

I had a little bit (okay a whole lot) of excitement here on my blog yesterday, when I got picked to be on Cupid's team for The Writer's Voice!! So, in typical Veronica fashion, I totally flaked & forgot to post the promised Crock Pot Gourmet recipe. (I've got to start scheduling these things in advance!)
 
Sorry about that, folks. I hope this delicious recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken makes up for it!
 
You will need:
1 lb. baby carrots (or regular carrots, chopped)
3 medium bell peppers
2 medium yellow onions
1 (12oz) jar apricot preserves
1/2 c. ketchup
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
 
Chop the onions and peppers into large (roughly 1-inch) pieces
and combine all veggies in the bottom of an ungreased 5-quart Crock Pot.
(*Note: You can also add pineapple chunks, if desired. I chose not to for this recipe, because I have a friend & faithful Crock Pot Gourmet reader who is allergic to pineapple.)

 
Arrange chicken thighs on top of the vegetables.


In a glass mixing bowl, combine ketchup, vinegar and apricot preserves. Stir to thoroughly combine.


Pour sauce over chicken.

 
Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked.
(Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.)

 
Serve over Creamy Mushroom Rice (or your favorite brown rice) with a side of steamed broccoli.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment