15 December 2012

Gluten Free Recipes: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I came up with this recipe last year for a friend who suffers from celiac disease (allergy to gluten, which is the protein found in wheat and rye), and since others have recently asked me to share, I'm posting it here for you! Please note: while oats are a gluten-free grain, they are easily contaminated when grown or processed near wheat, so if you have a true gluten intolerance, please make sure to buy certified gluten-free oats to be safe! (I can find them in my grocery store, but if your local supermarket doesn't have a gluten-free section, I found them easily with a quick google search.)

Gluten Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 c. shortening
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cardamom (optional)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5 1/2 c. oats, divided
1/2 c. raisins

In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugars. Blend in eggs, soda, salt, spices and vanilla. In a blender, grind 3 c. oats into flour. (See a quick how-to video on this post.) Blend oat flour into butter mixture. Stir in remaining oats and raisins. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.

(I haven't baked my Christmas cookies yet this year, so I don't have pictures to post. I'll update the post when I have pictures!)

No comments:

Post a Comment