14 December 2012

Gluten Free Recipes: Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cake

This week, instead of my usual Crock Pot Gourmet for the Frantic Chef recipe, I'm giving you a recipe for a friend who recently discovered that she has a gluten allergy. She lamented the loss of favorites like cake, and you know I can never pass up a challenge!

So here is my recipe for
Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cake!

(I'm sorry, I don't have a picture of the finished product. It got gobbled up before I could pull out the camera. When I make it again, I'll take a picture and update this post.)

1 c. quinoa
1 c. white rice
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. coconut milk powder
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. olive oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 c. water
1 c. craisins
1 c. mini chocolate chips (or omit the chocolate chips for a vegan version of the recipe!)

In a blender, on high speed, grind the quinoa and rice together. Pour 1 c. quinoa into blender and start blending on highest speed. Slowly pour in rice and continue to blend until you have a smooth flour. (I made a quick video to illustrate. Please forgive the poor quality of the video. This is my first time recording the process while cooking.)



In a large mixing bowl, combine quinoa/rice flour, cornstarch, coconut milk powder, sugar, baking soda and salt.


Stir in olive oil, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and water, until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated.

Add craisins and chocolate chips. (Or omit the chocolate chips for a vegan-friendly version of this cake!)

Pour into a greased 7x9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment