24 November 2016

Happy Thanksgiving! Recipe: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free (vegan) Pumpkin Pie

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I love this time of year: Gathering with friends and family to contemplate our many blessings while enjoying delicious foods we only have time to make once or twice per year. One of my favorite parts about the Thanksgiving feast is the dessert. Especially pies. I make pies of every flavor, and I try to make a new one each year.

This year, since my diet is severely restricted with my brain tumor deciding that I'm suddenly allergic to nearly everything I try to eat, I thought I would have to skip the pies.

Luckily, as my friend pointed out on Facebook, I'm one of those "creative cooks" that can put together my own recipes when I can't find the right one. And since pumpkin is not only an integral part of Thanksgiving celebrations but also the one of the main safe staple foods in my diet, I present to you ...

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan Pumpkin Pie
(It took 3 experiments before I figured out which ingredients, in which configuration, would yield a pumpkin pie that rivaled my mom's traditional pumpkin pie recipe. This one doesn't have exactly the same texture, but it's close!
 


You will need (for the crust):
 1 c. gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten free flour)
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. grapeseed oil
6 Tbsp. ice cold water

 You will need (for the filling):


1 can coconut milk
4 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp Ener-G egg replacer
2/3 c sugar
3/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 can pumpkin
2 Tbsp flax seed 
6 Tbsp warm water

In a medium-sized bowl, stir together flour, cornstarch and salt for the crust. add oil, and stir until mixture is crumbly and oil is worked in throughout. Add water and stir just enough to moisten. 

Form into a ball, and place between two sheets of waxed paper. Roll dough thin - into a circle large enough to fit your pie tin. 

Remove top sheet of waxed paper. Place pie tin, inverted, on top of pie crust. Flip the whole thing over, so the crust is now in the pie tin. Peel off the waxed paper (if making more than one pie, you can use this waxed paper for rolling out several pie crusts before discarding it). Crimp edges of the crust. Set aside.

In a small bowl, stir together flax seed and warm water. Set aside.

In medium bowl, mix together coconut milk, cornstarch, egg replacer, sugar, and spices. Stir in pumpkin and flax seed mixture. Mix well.

Pour filling into pie crust. Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Without opening the oven, reduce heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Let bake for an additional 55 minutes. 

Cool 30 minutes on  wire rack, then chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours, or until fully set.

No comments:

Post a Comment