06 December 2012

Pear and Strawberry Cobbler: Crock Pot Gourmet for the Frantic Chef


This is one of my favorite easy recipes for when I need to bring a dessert to a potluck, or when I want a special breakfast but don't want to get up early to cook it. I can throw the ingredients into the Crock Pot before I go to bed, and it's waiting for us when we wake up in the morning. With all of this fruit, it's much healthier than donuts or cinnamon rolls, or some other quick breakfast foods. (But it does have a high sugar content, so I wouldn't do this every day.)

For a printable version of this recipe, click here.

First, gather your ingredients: 1 large (6lb 9oz) can of pear halves, 1-2 lb. frozen sliced strawberries (no sugar added!) and 1 white cake mix (or cut the sugar by substituting 2 c. whole wheat biscuit mix instead - you can use this recipe to make your own). I used my 7-quart crock pot for this recipe.


Drain the pear halves into a large mixing bowl to reserve the liquid. (I usually get about 4 c. liquid from a can this size.)

Pour pears into the bottom of your crock pot. 

Add frozen, sliced strawberries (do not thaw first, or you'll wind up with a mushy mess).


Pour cake mix into reserved pear liquid and mix together. With about 4 c. of liquid, you'll wind up with a pudding-like consistency for your cobbler, with a thin "crust" of cake on top. If you prefer to have a thicker cake layer and more distinct separation between the fruit filling and the cake top, cut the liquid in half (2c.) BEFORE adding the cake mix!

Pour the cake mixture over the top of the fruit.


and cook on low for 6-8 hours or overnight.


Serve warm with whipped cream


Or, my personal favorite, a dollop of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment