19 April 2012

Book Review: SPECTRAL

SPECTRAL by Shannon Duffy is amazing!!! It totally deserves 5 stars!!!! (If I gave out stars for my reviews, which, you know, I don't...)

Honestly, I read this book as a favor for a friend (the amazing Brenda Drake - if you haven't been reading her blog, you should!) and I was a little bit hesitant when I picked it up. I usually read YA contemporary novels, and I haven't been too impressed with the paranormal trend in YA lit. (I wasn't a huge fan of the TWILIGHT saga, and I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't have any desire to read HARRY POTTER), so I wasn't sure if this book was for me. I began to read with a healthy dose of skepticism, determined simply to find a few good things to say about a book I was sure I wouldn't love.

But by the middle of the first chapter, I was hooked. I put my daughter on dinner duty and decided laundry could wait until I finished reading. This book was simply too good to put down! I've never been so happy to be so wrong!


Growing up in the witness protection program, Jewel has always lived on the fringes. Close friends are out of the question, as she never knows how soon she'll be moving again. But when she moves to Pomona Park, Florida, things start looking up. Not only does she find a true and fast friend in cute, bubbly Taylor, but she is immediately drawn to ultra-hot, super-sweet jock, Chase, who seems to really like her too. Jewel finally feels like a normal teenager.

But Jewel can't stop thinking about Roman, the super sexy bad boy, who may have all the answers she's been looking for, and the key to saving her life - if she can really trust that he isn't the enemy!

Take the magic and drama of the Twilight saga, weave in the romance of star-crossed lovers like Romeo and Juliet and sprinkle on a healthy dose of "Who do you think you are?" to get a book that will keep you turning pages until the very end!

I fell in love with Chase the first time Jewel saw him outside the ice cream parlor, and I rooted for him to win her heart... but Roman was a seriously yummy distraction. What if he was really THE ONE? As Jewel struggles to discover the secrets of her family and who she really is, each boy plays a crucial role.

Forget the whole Team Edward / Team Jacob debate. Are you Team Roman or Team Chase?

No comments:

Post a Comment