Okay, so it should surprise none of you that I've committed myself to a very, very busy November!
A few years ago, I discovered (and conquered) NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), where I wrote my very first, 50,000-word novel in less than a month's time! (Except, I kind of cheated a little bit, because I was moving in November, so I wrote for 30 days in October instead. I think it still counts!)
Last year, I discovered PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Idea Month) - the challenge to come up with a new picture book idea every single day for thirty days.... And I did it! (I'm currently querying one of the picture books that came about as a result of this challenge.)
This year, I'm in the middle of querying my YA contemporary novel and my favorite picture book. I'm also working on revising not one, but two separate Middle Grade novels and another picture book. And I'm writing my knitting book as well. I certainly don't have time to take on any more challenges!!
So, for November 2012, naturally, I've decided that I'm going to DO IT ALL!!! Is anyone surprised? Yeah, I didn't think so. Polish up my gold star, folks, I'm getting ready to defend my Rock Star status!! My plan this month is to:
1. Write a 50,000+ word YA novel (my NaNoWriMo name is v.bartles, if you want to look me up)
UPDATE: 11/5 word count so far - 7,134 (a little bit behind, but catching up)
UPDATE: 11/14 word count: 21,415 (almost caught up!!)
2. Come up with 30+ original Picture Book ideas
UPDATE: 11/5 idea count so far - 7
UPDATE: 11/14 idea count - 13 (I just need one for today, so I don't fall behind...)
3. Finish revising at least one of my 2 Middle Grade novels
UPDATE: 11/14 - trying to decide which MG novel to focus on for Pitch Wars contest...
4. Keep moving forward with querying my finished projects
UPDATE: 11/14 I've decided to enter the Agent for the Holidays pitch contest!! (Writing my entries today)
5. Check in weekly on my blog to let you know how I'm progressing (I probably won't be doing 2 or more blog posts each week, as I've been doing lately. Look for my updates on Sunday evenings or Monday mornings, most likely. - Or you can follow me on twitter - @vbartles - for daily updates on the writing goals.) UPDATE: 11/5 wrote a different kind of blog post yesterday, so I'm updating here instead of on a separate post.
6. Maintain at least a small shred of sanity (UPDATE: Jury is still out on whether or not I was even remotely sane before this crazy month began! - And I think I've now confirmed that I'm not even remotely sane!!)
Oh, yeah... And I'm also going to participate in the Spectral read-a-thon, and I'm thinking about jumping on the "read 30 novels in 30 days" bandwagon too... because you know, the challenge is there...
UPDATE: 11/5 - Due to a recent Twitter conversation with Summer Heacock, I've determined that I have to add one more thing to my month: Weekly blog posts - "Crockpot Gourmet for the Frantic Chef" - This may become a regular feature...
Can it be done? Well, if anyone can do it, I'm just the stubborn girl to make it work! If nothing else, I won't have time to wallow in fears and self-doubt this month. I'll be too busy writing new and amazing stories. I'll see you all on the other side! I hope! :)